The Palais des Raïs was created in 1576 by the Dey Ramdhan Pasha when Bordj-Ez-zoubia (the fort of the Immondices) was built to strengthen the defences of the northwest corner of the medina of El Djazaïr.
The whole district was successively named Quaà-Essour (bottom of the rampart), Sbaà tbaren (the seven taverns), Topanet Arnaout because of the artillery pieces erected by the Raïs Mami Arnaout, and finally "Bastion 23", a name given following the construction of the city's ramparts.
On the other hand, the numbers designating the palaces (17, 18, 23) and the fishermen's houses (5, 7, 9, 9, 11, 13 and 15) are cadastral allocations from the French period.
As the building was in danger of collapse, in 1980, the Ministry of Culture took over the historic monument.
After study and work that lasted from 1987 to 1993, it became an Arts and Culture Centre open to the public in 1994.
Inaugurated on 1 November 1994 as a multi-purpose cultural complex, the Centre des arts et de la culture du Palais des raïs is responsible for its management, organisation, operation and animation.